Overall, the meeting with Mr. and Mrs. LeFever went very well yesterday evening. It was not the first time for me to meet them so I told them the purpose of my visit was to receive permission from Robyn's father for her hand in marriage. The reason I felt this was necessary is because we will have four daughters between us, and I want the men our daughters marry to get to know me and ask my permission before they are married. It is the right thing to do.
Mr. LeFever said he did not have a problem with my marrying his daughter, and he is happy for Robyn because she is happy with me. I told him I am happy with her, and I promise I will love, honor, cherish, respect and care for her to the best of my ability.
Her father told me there are two things that can jeopardize a person's second marriage - kids and religion. I was married for nine years, and my ex-wife would constantly overrode me in front of the kids when I tried to discipline them or deny their requests for things they didn't need. Robyn and I have an agreement that we will be unified when dealing with our children on these issues, and we will discuss any disagreement in private after the decision is made so things are handled better the next time.
Regarding religion, it is not an issue to me or to Robyn that it will be a mixed-religion marriage. I applaud her strong moral character, and she is raising her girls the right way. She sees the same characteristics in me and how I am raising my children, so that is all that matters. I have never felt more compatible with anybody else in my life in regards to how we live our daily lives. My conscience is clear that God has chosen this person for me to marry, and Robyn feels exactly the same way. If God is with us, who can be against us?
Mrs. LeFever then whispered to her husband that they should take me out to eat because she gets grouchy when she is hungry. They were very gracious when they offered to take me to Outback Steakhouse, and I, of course, accepted. The conversation then consisted of Mr. LeFever's childhood, his career at GM, and politics.
We discussed Georgie and Madi, and Mr. LeFever's opinions are very similar to mine and Robyn's regarding the girls. He emphasized that education is the most important thing for his grandchildren. Robyn and I both share the same sentiment. Both girls have different developmental issues, but I can relate to them since my oldest daughter Corinna has very similar issues to Georgie's. I am very honored Robyn has let me become their dad, and I look forward to that role with great eager anticipation.
When the evening was over, I thanked them for dinner, and Mr. LeFever expressed gratitude to me that I was able to meet with them because he enjoyed getting to know his future son-in-law better.
Next up is for Robyn to meet my parents Sunday 6/13 at 7 pm. I have a very good feeling about that as I did before I became better acquainted with her parents last night. She has already met my oldest brother Kenny. She graduated from high school with my middle brother Gary, so everything will be fine.
Fried Okra BLTs
2 weeks ago

This post speaks volumes about what a great man my dear friend is going to spend the rest of her life with!
ReplyDelete